Archive for the tag 'building collapse'

A reader sent these photos in, showing that scaffolding has collapsed around the Amalgamated Warbasse Houses at 2800 West 5th Street on the Brighton Beach – Coney Island border.

We really hope no one has been hurt in this collapse, or in any of the other incidents we’re increasingly hearing about.

 

A photo from the November 8 Brighton Beach building collapse.

The federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration slapped SP&K Construction with more than $77,000 in fines for skirting regulations in building a Brighton Beach structure, which collapsed in November killing one and injuring four others.

The agency served the Midwood-based company with 11 safety violations yesterday, saying the company knowingly failed to ensure the building was stable before sending workers in to pour concrete.

Continue Reading »

Photo by Neil Friedman

Workers are on the scene of the 40 Frank Court home that collapsed in Gerritsen Beach yesterday, tearing down the remains and securing the site.

Our Neil Friedman stopped by and snagged the above photo at around 2:00 p.m. Demolition started around 11:00 a.m., he reports, and the debris will be hauled away later today.

The building keeled over at around 11:00 a.m. yesterday, trapping 25-year-old Santos Garcia, who later died from his injuries.

Three other workers sustained minor injuries, and the homes on either side of the site were temporarily evacuated.

The cause of the collapse has not yet been identified.

At building collapse gerritsen two injured building is sideways.  Was under construction

Source: Todd Maisel/Twitpic

An under construction building partially collapsed near the corner of Frank Court and Seba Avenue in Gerritsen Beach this morning.

The incident occurred at approximately 11:00 a.m., when the two-and-a-half story building slumped over under its own weight. Firefighters said the incident was under control approximately 40 minutes later.

It does not appear anyone was injured. Two people were injured, and the building is now on its side, according to photographer Todd Maisel.

UPDATE (2:40 p.m.): We were told earlier that one of the injured workers was in critical condition. Others are reporting the worker has died from his wounds. We have not yet confirmed this.

This is a breaking news story and may contain inaccuracies. We will update it as more information becomes available. If anyone has more information or additional photos, please send them to tips (at) sheepsheadbites (dot) com.

 

Following the building collapse in Brighton Beach on November 8, it was discovered that the architects of the buildings have a history of breaking building regulations, reports the New York Daily News.

According to city officials, Douglas Pulaski and Henry Radusky of Bricolage Architecture and Design - the firm behind the project - had to surrender some privileges in the past due to a repeated failure to follow building codes.

“They have been known by the Buildings Department for many years to operate on the fringe,” said Assemblyman James Brennan in the article, who in 2005 demanded all projects submitted by the firm to be reviewed.

Continue Reading »

One person died and four others were injured in the Brighton Beach building collapse yesterday, which preliminary reports suggest occurred as construction workers poured concrete on the upper levels before having done the lower levels.

We brought you on-scene play-by-play yesterday, as emergency responders dug into the wreckage and ultimately secured the site. The Department of Buildings is still investigating the incident, but a Stop Work Order has been put into effect, and safety violations have been issued.

We managed to get some photos up yesterday, but here’s our collection of photos and videos from our team and Sheepshead Bites readers.

View the collection.

Sheepshead Bites has learned that one of the contractors pulled from the debris of the Brighton Beach Building collapse has died.

In all, five laborers were at the 2929 Brighton 5th Street construction site. One suffered minor injuries and was treated at the scene. Three others were in serious condition but expected to recover. The fifth was in critical until it was announced late this evening that he died.

The deceased’s identity has not yet been released.

We are receiving a steady stream of photos from reader Slava (the above photo was shot by Ned) of the building collapse on Brighton Fifth Street off Neptune Avenue in Brighton Beach, which we reported about here (keep checking that link for minute-to-minute updates). Ned is on the scene. Keep reading Sheepshead Bites for more updated information and photos.

Continue Reading »

WE ARE CURRENTLY UPDATING THIS POST AS INFORMATION IS FED TO US FROM OUR ON-SITE REPORTERS. THIS IS A REPORT IN PROGRESS AND All INFORMATION IS DEEMED ACCURATE WHEN POSTED, BUT MAY CHANGE AS THE EVENING PROGRESSES. PLEASE BEAR WITH US.

A building has collapsed in Brighton Beach, at 2922 2929 Brighton Fifth Street, near Neptune Avenue.

The collapse occurred around 2:30 this afternoon, and early reports suggest workers may be trapped inside.

“It’s a major collapse,” a Fire Department spokesman told the New York Times. “The most information that we have right now is that it’s pretty severe. Three people are trapped.” The building is at  2922 2929 Brighton Fifth Street, near Neptune Avenue. We will bring you details as they develop.

We’re heading to the scene now. Stay tuned for updates.

UPDATE: Streets are closed off around the area. Notify NYC has issued an alert to steer clear of the area. Emergency personel are on the scene.

UPDATE (3:28 p.m.): Three people are trapped inside the building and and police sources say they are in “not good” condition.

UPDATE (3:33 p.m.): The front of the building, and corrugated metal floorings inside, appear to have collapsed inwards. Firefighters are using ladders to get into the area and are surveying it.

UPDATE (3:35 p.m): A neighbor said the three have been pulled out. Also (according to witnesses), one worker on the scene fled before the police and FDNY came out. He reportedly “got in his car and left.”

UPDATE: (3:38 p.m.): Neighbor said it “sounded like the world was going to end.” The front began to slide slowly, then fully collapsed with a “big bang.” Aluminum debris fell around the street, and they began running away. It was “one big grumble at the end.” The building was four stories tall. Brickwork started last week, or sometime this week, according to another neighbor, who said the site was never a problem.

UPDATE (3:43 p.m.): A witness says  two workers fell from the third to the second floor. Another fells from the third to the first, and he appears to be in the worst condition. The FDNY is still searching for the fourth person.

UPDATE (4:03 p.m.): They’ve begun cutting the metal. An FDNY responder with a snake came has left, as have a K-9 unit.

UPDATE (4:17 p.m.): FDNY responders are inside the building, on the third floor. They’re peering out of the stairwell down into the rubble. They’re fastening a rope to a support beam. It appears as though they have tied it to secure one end of the corrugated metal, so they can lift the other end.

UPDATE (4:24 p.m.): Some of the firefighters are leaving.

UPDATE (4:31 p.m.): The FDNY’s Collapse Rescue 5 Unit has repositioned its truck directly in front of the building. All FDNY inside appear to have pulled out.

UPDATE (4:34 p.m.): City Councilman Domenic Recchia is now on the scene, as well as the property owners’ lawyer.

UPDATE (4:37 p.m.): Red Cross Disaster Relief is here.

UPDATE (4:43 p.m.): Councilman Recchia told Sheepshead Bites that his office has received complaints about the structure from neighbors. He would not elaborate on the nature of the complaints.

UPDATE (4:54 p.m.): Councilman Michael Nelson has arrived on the scene.

UPDATE (5:07 p.m.): The office of Emergency Management (OEM) is setting up portable lights around the scene of the collapse.

UPDATE (5:07 p.m.): Earlier in the day, firefighters began to cut holes into some of the corrugated metal floor sub-flooring. They have now begun to enter into the holes.

UPDATE (5:22 p.m.): All FDNY personal have come down and off the building.

UPDATE (5:32 p.m.): As of now, no neighboring buildings have been evacuated, but many local streets remain closed. Emergency personal are telling people that it is dangerous to be on the streets.

UPDATE (5:44 p.m.): We just heard the name of the condo; BS Condo, LLC. Fitting isn’t it? As funny as that sounded – it’s R.S. Condo, LLC. Our bad.

UPDATE (5:48 p.m.): FDNY representatives have told Sheepshead Bites that all victims have been removed from the building and that the fire chief has completed a walk-through. The area is secure, but the fire department will maintain a lasting presence. It is now an inter-agency operation to decide if they’ll do any additional work to further safeguard the site and to ensure no further collapse or danger to the public.

UPDATE (6:01 p.m.): FDNY Press Officer Jim Long has informed Sheepshead Bites that five people where on the scene when the collapse occurred. One was treated on-site. Of the remaining four, three are in serious condition and one is critical. No names have been released. The Department of Buildings (DOB) and Office of Emergency Management (OEM) have taken over operation at the site. They will interview workers and do on-site analysis to determine the cause of the collapse. Once that is complete, they will bring in an outside contractor to dismantle the wreckage. Workers were pouring concrete at the time of the collapse.

UPDATE (6:30 p.m.): Councilman Dominic Recchia posted the following to his Facebook page:

After a preliminary investigation, the foundation of the collapsed building was not built in accordance with the rules and regulations of the Building Code and Administrative Code with the City of New York. Reports from the Building Department and city agencies that were at the scene said the concrete was not poured properly, the steel beams were not securely attached, and no engineer was on site during building hours. Many questions need to be answered and I will work with Councilman Michael Nelson to make sure that a full investigation goes underway so we can prevent another tragedy like this from happening in South Brooklyn.

UPDATE (11:00 p.m.): One of the laborers has passed away.