Archive for the tag '63rd precinct'

Source: mikey k/Flickr

Source: mikey k/Flickr

Thomas Dunikowski, who fired a rifle at a group of rowdy teens on his Stuart Street block in 2011, has been sentenced to eight years in prison.

Following a mistrial last year, when jurors acquitted him of attempted murder charges but deadlocked on assault charges, Dunikowski struck a plea deal with prosecutors. He pleaded guilty to first-degree assault and agreed to an eight year sentence, with five years of supervision after his release.

“I would just like to say that I am sorry to everyone that I hurt with this whole ordeal,” Dunikowski, 33, said in court before sentencing, according to the New York Post. “I am sorry they got hurt, and I am sorry I hurt my family and [brought] them through this.”

Dunikowski was arrested in June 2011 after opening fire from his second floor window, wounding two teenagers who refused to leave his stoop. He fired 27 shots as the teens, ranging in age from 14 to 17, fled.

The noisy teens had refused to leave his property, and had allegedly been previously kicking over garbage cans and making a ruckus on the block.

The Marine Park dad also reportedly struck a 21-year-old female bystander.

Neighbors packed the Carmine Carro Community Center in Marine Park on Tuesday night to question representatives of the 63rd Precinct about the NYPD’s security plans a day after teenagers ran rampant through Kings Plaza mall.

Lieutenant Vito Ardito of the precinct’s special operation’s unit that oversees response to disturbances like that at Kings Plaza, sought to emphasize the NYPD’s proactive handling of the teenage “riot” during the Marine Park Civic Association meeting.

Ardito said the police were aware of the plans to overtake the mall well in advance, having monitored the situation on social media sites including Facebook. However, he noted that it’s not illegal to host a “get together,” but the number of people put the precinct on guard. The NYPD sent additional cars from Manhattan, giving the local force 13 cars in total to preserve order.

The teens were allowed to enter the mall, but police and mall security decided to send them on their way after concerns that the growing numbers would become unmanageable. Ardito emphasized that none of the kids, who appeared to be between the ages of 13 and 16, were violating the law, and all but two complied with officers’ requests to leave, leading to arrests.

Both arrests were of minors, and Ardito said the precinct is working with their parents. One received a summons.

The community, though, demanded a tougher response and more police officers to be stationed at the mall, saying they feared for their safety when shopping at the mall.

Although Ardito noted reiterated that the teens did not violate any laws and were compliant with police officers’ requests, he did note that they are working with mall security to improve the situation – especially as the mall moves forward with renovations, including a $3 million camera system.

He added that when looking at the precinct’s command as a whole, the mall only accounted for a marginal amount of crime, and that slashes to their personnel – from 180 to 120 officers in recent years – meant prioritizing areas with greater incidents of violent crime.

The NYPD is also investigating the organizer of both Kings Plaza “get togethers” for a possible “incitement to violence” charge.

Lamborghini Aventador Crash in Brooklin Splits Car in Half

Source: AutoEvolution.com

mapA frustrated Mill Basin resident has started a petition to add stop signs on a residential block after the latest in a series of accidents left at least one man injured and a $400,000 Lamborghini Aventador split in two on Saturday.

The accident occurred at East 66th Street and Gaylord Drive North, when a speeding white Lamborghini and a four-door sedan collided as the sedan turned to enter a driveway. The Lamborghini veered off, hitting a utility pole, and ripping into two parts, one of which was sent barreling 30 feet away into a neighbor’s fence.

The neighbor caught the collision on his security video, which you can see below:

The condition of the Lamborghini driver and any potential passengers remains unknown at this time. The driver of the sedan was hospitalized but is expected to recover, according to a post on Instagram by his sister:

I’m so thankful that my brother is alive and well after this tragic accident he had tonight. He was hit by a Lamborghini doing 100mph. The Lamborghini hit him then spun out into a tree and split in half and my brother was hospitalized he’s lucky to be alive right now after something like this. I thank God he’s ok

She also posted more photos of the wreckage, which you can see at the end of this post.

The neighbor who recorded the video, Michael Yuryev, said this kind of accident is becoming typical in the community.

“It seems to be a major problem that cars race down E66th st all the time because last year, another accident happened on the same corner and hit a Electric pole,” Yuryev wrote to Sheepshead Bites. “The most disturbing fact is that MANY of these individuals who race down e66th are Mill Basin Residents and I have seen the same cars racing/speeding and parked in people’s driveways and garages.”

To make the community safer, Yuryev suggests adding stop signs or speed bumps throughout the neighborhood, which would help reclaim the streets from would-be drag racers. Yuryev has sent a letter to Assemblyman Alan Maisel and Councilman Lew Fidler requesting the change, and has also kicked off an online petition.

“Remember, it is only a matter of time before someone gets injured or killed by another reckless driver speeding down our neighborhood where our loved ones and friends walk up and down everyday,” Yuryev writes in the petition.

See more photos from this dramatic accident.

Chaim Deutsch

Chaim Deutsch

(I wish there was a synonym for candidate that began with “b” so we could have really rocked that headline, but…)

A notorious package thief who has been nabbing UPS and FedEx deliveries in Midwood and Marine Park all summer was busted thanks in part to the efforts of City Council candidate Chaim Deutsch, the Flatbush Shomrim and concerned citizens tired of being victimized.

According to a press release, the thief in question had been walking up to people’s homes with a clipboard in an effort to appear official. He would then scoop up packages from houses where no one was home and place them in his truck.

The press release went on to explain how Deutsch helped catch the crook:

Chaim Deutsch, founder of The Flatbush Shomrim, received a frantic call from a woman vacationing upstate. She told Mr. Deutsch that as she was expecting packages to be delivered to her home, as well as being a victim two weeks prior, she decided to monitor her cameras from upstate NY. To her amazement, there was the thief removing packages from her porch. Mr. Deutsch immediately contacted a member of Flatbush Shomrim to locate the thief while also alerting the NYPD.

The responding Flatbush Shomrim member immediately began a canvass of the area. Within several minutes, he spotted the thief with a clipboard in hand which fit the description exactly. The thief then got into an ambulette vehicle that he was driving and proceeded to leave the scene. The eagle-eyed member on the call then contacted Mr. Deutsch who was on the phone with Captain John Rowell, the commanding officer of the 63rd precinct, who immediately dispatched additional officers. Within five minutes, the responding officers pulled over the ambulette and arrested the perpetrator. In the vehicle, the police recovered six stolen packages and a taser gun. The 70th precinct was also contacted as they too had reports of similar thefts. In addition to the homeowners, UPS and FedEx were also pressing charges. The Flatbush Shomrim and its founder Mr. Deutsch are very proud to have been able to assist the community in apprehending this perpetrator.

Deutsch tells Sheepshead Bites that the culprit was a Brighton Beach resident.

A photo from the scene the morning after the attack. (Source: NYDailyNews.com)

The Marine Park man accused of attempting to kill rowdy teenagers hanging out in front of his house last year will face a new trial after a judge called a mistrial when jurors hit a deadlock.

Thomas Dunikowski made headlines in June 2011, when he allegedly opened fire on a group of teens who refused to leave his Stuart Street stoop. Dunikowski, who has an arrest record for domestic incidents, allegedly grabbed his semi-automatic hunting rifle and perched himself at his second floor window, firing down on the teens. He struck two of them, and a fragment hit a resident. None were seriously injured, though all three were hospitalized. According to the New York Post at the time, the kids had been roaming the streets around midnight, knocking over trash cans and vandalizing cars before Dunikowski confronted them.

Dunikowski was initially charged with assault, intent to cause serious injury with a weapon, unlawful use of a loaded firearm, reckless endangerment and resisting arrest.

After the jury deadlocked last month, the judge called a mistrial, and pre-trial hearings began this week, according to a report in the print edition of the Bay News that does not appear online.

Dunikowski will face a new trial on all charges, including attempted murder – which has his attorney, Jay Schwitzman, outraged. According to Schwitzman, the jury had voted unanimously to acquit his client of the attempted murder charge, based on a claim of self-defense, before they failed to reach an agreement on the lesser charges.

Schwitzman added that the judge declared a mistrial before the jury could deliver their verdict on the attempted murder charge in open court, allowing the District Attorney to prosecute the charge again. The paper could not verify Schwitzman’s claims of a unanimous decision.

Dunikowski’s defense against the murder charge was based on a claim that it was self-defense, and that he and his Stuart Street neighbors feared for their lives. They offered panicked calls to 911 from Dunikowski and his neighbors as evidence.

“The people of Stuart Street wre scared for their lives,” Schwitzman told the paper. “These teens were notjust kicking cars and turning over trash cans – they were trashing everything they could find and would not stop, even when the police were being summoned. The teens were out there to harm Mr. Dunokowski and the 911 calls that were made back that up.”

Source: Facebook

Authorities have revealed the identity of the naked, burned body found on Gerritsen Beach’s shores Sunday morning as 14-year-old Shaniesha Forbes.

Forbes was reported missing on Friday, last seen at her Flatlands home on Avenue I at 8 a.m. Friday before leaving for school. Forbes was a freshman at Academy for Young Writers in East New York, according to her Facebook profile.

According to the Daily News, Forbes’ naked body was found partially burned next to the remains of a bonfire and some beer. The burns are not believed to be the cause of her death, as there was no smoke in her lungs and only her legs, arms and hands were burned.

Police have not yet ruled the death a homicide, and an autopsy was inconclusive. They have previously noted that there were no obvious signs of trauma, but are continuing to investigate.

Various reports say that Forbes had run away from home at least once before, and so police did not issue a public missing persons bulletin.

BurntNaked

Photo: PIX11

Authorities rushed to a patch of shoreline near Gerritsen Avenue near Lois Avenue early Sunday morning, where a woman was found dead, naked and charred by fire.

Police say the victim was a young black woman in her late teens or early twenties, according to PIX11.

The body was found near the water in the nature preserve at approximately 7:15 a.m., and police were on scene for most of the day. In addition to homicide detectives, emergency services units and K-9 units were also active at the scene, and reportedly combed the shore.

Authorities had not yet identified the woman as of Sunday evening, and no identification was found near the remains.

According to the New York Post, “Parts of the victim’s body were burned, but there were no other obvious signs of trauma, and it did not appear the woman had been dead for long.”

Police are still investigating whether there was foul play. The medical examiner will determine the cause of death.

A swastika found in Gerritsen Beach last week (Source: GerritsenBeach.net)

A militant Jewish organization announced over the weekend that it will send “security teams” to Marine Park, calling for Jewish residents witnessing anti-Semitic acts of vandalism to “smash the neo-Nazis to pieces physically.”

The Jewish Defense Organization is deploying their patrols in Marine Park, Borough Park and other areas that were recently targeted by anti-Semitic vandals. The neighborhood has been plagued by hate-related graffiti, most recently in late June when a swastika was painted on a sidewalk near a Marine Park synagogue. Last week, swastikas were found on a bulkhead in nearby Gerritsen Beach.

Keep reading for the JDO’s full statement, and the NYPD’s response.

A 26-year-old mentally disabled man has gone missing in the Marine Park area, and fliers like the one seen above popped up in Sheepshead Bay this week.

Michael Danaher went missing on August 15. He is described as 5′ 10″, 170 pounds, with brown hair and a full beard. He was last seen wearing jeans, a white long sleeve shirt and black sneakers. The family is offering a $1,000 reward for his discovery.

If you see Danaher or have information regarding his whereabouts, contact Detective Callow of the 63rd Precinct at (718) 258-4401. You can also contact the Crime Stoppers hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS, or text CRIMES and then enter TIP577, or visit www.nypdcrimestoppers.com.

Photo by Dan Cavanagh of GerritsenBeach.net

UPDATE (11:53 a.m.): GerritsenBeach.net is reporting additional information, relating it to a bar fight incident that happened last night. Here’s what they’ve got:

Both the stabbing at channel avenue and body at the point are related incidents.

There was a bar fight involving two brothers and another group that spilled into the streets. One brother was stabbed near Everett avenue and collapsed across the street in the weeds. He was transported to a hospital and is in critical condition. The other brother was stabbed and found DOA at the point.

UPDATE (10:30 a.m.): The NYPD has issues the following statement:

On Thursday, August 18, 2011 at approximately 0725 hours, police officers responded to calls of a body in the water at 3078 Gerritsen Ave within the confines of the 63 precinct.  Upon arrival, officers discovered a M/W/28 unconscious and unresponsive on the shore of the location.  EMS responded and pronounced the aided DOA.  There are no arrests at this time, ME will determine the cause of death and investigation is ongoing.

Identification is pending.

Original post:

A body appears to have washed up in Gerritsen Beach near the point, according to GerritsenBeach.net.

Authorities from the 63rd Precinct gathered around the corpse around 9:00 a.m. when Cavanagh, GerritsenBeach.net’s publisher, arrived at the scene.

This is a breaking news story and may contain inaccuracies. We will provide more information as it becomes available.

Next »