The victim of February’s false arrest, in which an officer allegedly lied saying the man attempted to run him over with his car, confronted Deputy Inspector Georgios Mastrokostas, commander of the 61st Precinct, last week demanding to know if the precinct can be trusted in the future.

John Hockenjos took to the floor of the 61st Precinct Community Council to face the precinct’s commanding officer, expressing shock about the incident and stating that he fears relying on the city police in the future.

The erroneous charges, which were dropped by the district attorney, could have put Hockenjos in prison for seven years. His wife still faces 15 days, and charges against her have not yet been dropped.

“I was facing, if convicted, seven years in prison, losing my livelihood, losing my property, losing everything I had, my finances and my freedom. Two officers planted themselves in my driveway. I could not even move my car,” a visibly distressed Hockenjos told Mastrokostas. “I want to know: is this a culture in the 6-1?”

Hockenjos added that the allegedly false charges weren’t the only thing that went wrong that evening. He said the police officers refused to tell him why he was being arrested until after he was held at the precinct. In previous instances in which they called police regarding their two-year feud with a neighbor over property, they said the officers refused to take a report, including in one case where his wife was assaulted.

The experience has caused him to distrust the local precinct, already dissuading him from calling 911 for vandalism and alleged gang activity on his property.

“I feel unprotected. I’m now afraid to call 911 … I’m afraid for my life,” Hockenjos said. “I can’t protect myself, commander. I can’t do it. All I can do is take pictures.”

On February 5, the 55-year-old East 23rd Street resident was arrested and charged with first and second degree reckless endangerment and reckless driving after police at the scene claimed he attempted to run them over with his car as they stood in his driveway.

The charges were dropped days later after Hockenjos revealed surveillance video suggesting the officer fabricated his report, which stated that Hockenjos drove into his driveway “at a high rate of speed,” which forced Officer Diego Palacios “to jump out of the way to avoid being hit” by the four-door sedan. The video showed Hockenjos slowly pulling into the driveway and stopping several feet before the police officers – who didn’t budge.

Diego Palacios and another officer are currently under investigation by the Internal Affairs Bureau, have been relocated to a different precinct and are no longer on patrol, Sheepshead Bites is told.

Mastrokostas nor Hockenjos declined to discuss specifics of the case. Mastrokostas cannot comment on ongoing investigations, and Hockenjos has been advised by his lawyer to keep mum until the court matters are settled.

Still, Mastrokostas noted that he expects the most of his officers, and that Hockenjos and other members of the community shouldn’t hesitate to report crimes in the area.

“As far as the officers in the 6-1, I expect them to behave with the utmost professional attitude. We’re here to do a job – protect the community that we work in,” Mastrokostas said. “You shouldn’t feel hesitant about calling the police department. If the police respond and you feel they’ve acted inappropriately or did something wrong, I encourage you to call [Civilian Complaint Review Board] or the Internal Affairs Unit. It’s as easy as calling 311.”

Source: changeschanging / Flickr

THE COMMUTE: Given the choice, most people would choose to take a train rather than a bus, unless they have a problem with stairs or walking. That is because the train is more reliable and much quicker. However, in most situations, one does not have that choice. If it is a short distance, the choice is usually to take the bus or walk. For longer distances, it is bus or car service. Yes, there are those who bike or skateboard, but they are the exception rather than the rule. I am also referring to those without access to an automobile, since that will probably be your mode of choice, unless parking is limited at your destination or origin.

Continue Reading »

UPDATE (11:53 a.m.): NBC is reporting 12 hurt, nine with serious injuries.

UPDATE (11:39 a.m.): NYBuff.com is reporting that 10 people were hospitalized in all, none with life-threatening injuries. Daily News photographer Todd Maisel reports 11, and also has some photos in his Twitter stream.

NYBuff.com adds that the cause of the accident is under investigation, and it’s unclear if the bus struck (or was struck by) any vehicles before hitting the building.

UPDATE (11:21 a.m.): The other vehicle involved in the crash was a Jewish Association Serving the Aging (JASA) home deliver truck. There was also at least one other car involved – a black four-door sedan. That makes this a three-vehicle and one-building accident.

Keep reading to see the original story and additional photos.

Commuters felt the first stretch last week of what they’ll be facing for the next eight months, as the MTA continues to replace tracks serving the Brighton line’s B and Q trains.

According to the MTA’s website, the 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. work, which sees disruptions of service at Gravesend Neck Road and Avenue U, will continue through November 16.

The work means that Coney Island-bound Q trains skip Avenue U and Gravesend Neck Road between the hours above, and that Manhattan-bound B trains will be running local between Sheepshead Bay Road and Kings Highway.

For south-bound straphangers looking to get to those stops, you will need to continue your trip until Sheepshead Bay Road, transfer to the northbound platform, and take either the B or Q back up.

Ginger Rose on Sheepshead Bay Road. Shot with a Leica M6 and Arista Premium 400 film. Just sublime.

Photo by Boris Shekhman

Bayback Ribs - GOTB 2011 - Source: James Boo/seriouseats.com

It’s back! On Saturday, March 24, NYC’s only BBQ contest, Grillin’ On The Bay returns to Sheepshead Bay. Twenty barbecue teams will fight for the title of NYC’s best barbecuer. Chili cooks will battle it out in the Brooklyn Chili Smack Down, a people’s choice event.

We heard your cry – THERE WILL BE BARBECUE FOR SALE!!! I’m being told that the award winning team of Three Men and a Babyback, (Babyback? Get it? Babybacks are a type of pork ribs), will be selling pork ribs, pulled pork sandwiches and returning with the pulled pork parfaits that were so popular last year. The three men will start serving at 11:00 am.

BBQ too heavy for you? The school will be grilling up hamburgers, hot dogs and maybe a few surprises.

The Brooklyn Chili Smack Down kicks off at 1:00 pm. Last year we had 25 different chili’s for you to try.  For only $10, you, yes you, the people of Brooklyn, get to try it all and choose the winner of the The Brooklyn Chili Smack Down.  This is democracy at its finest.

Continue Reading »

 
A lovely photo, but I much prefer it when “The Tide Is High.”

Photo by Randy Contello

P.S. 100 (Source: schools.nyc.gov)

Public School 100, The Coney Island School, actually in Brighton Beach at 2951 West 3rd Street, is testing a new evaluation system that may be implemented nationwide in the future.

The Charlotte Danielson framework evaluation process helps teachers and administrators in recognizing good teaching habits. It runs on a basis of 22 teaching strategies teachers must practice.

Because the current teacher evaluation method has shown inconclusive results, placing valuable teachers at the bottom of the city’s teacher data report, the Danielson evaluation system is being considered as a future addition to teacher evaluations.

If this change were to occur, 40 percent of the evaluation will focus on children’s test scores and the other 60 percent will work similar to what Principal Katherine Moloney has already begun practicing at P.S. 100, observing teachers at work.

The Danielson framework evaluation was recently tested in Chicago schools and the reports showed lower rankings than those previously published. An eight percent plunge was recorded, but Danielson stands by her new method, stating it is meant for improvement, recognizing the areas an individual could use help.

Learn more about the program’s test drive at this local school over at The New York Times.

City Councilman Lew Fidler has spent his nights this week at civic meetings railing against Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s proposed budget, which slashes city-funded afterschool programs. Fidler said the cuts are unacceptable, and the city can pay for the service with just a small portion of funds recovered from the CityTime debacle.

The councilman, who also serves as chairman of the Youth Services Committee, bashed the plan to do away with nearly half the slots in the city’s major afterschool programs, calling it “bad public policy.”

“The afterschool programs in our city provide meaningful contact with young people,” Fidler said. “The Mayor’s preliminary budget contains money for 28,000 [down from 78,000 two years ago]. That means that over half of our afterschool programs are closing entirely on September 1. That’s crazy talk.”

Fidler said that the cuts will usher in a new generation of delinquent youths, creating an overwhelming burden on the criminal justice system.

“We’re going to create a whole new generation of  latchkey kids,” Fidler said. “All of that is a disaster. Now let me ask you what you think our local precinct commander thinks of the idea. I guarantee you any penny we save today on not having an afterschool program will cost us a dollar in criminal justice programs tomorrow.”

We have historical proof that if we don’t capture these kids and keep them with good choices … they’re going to find trouble,” he added. “Trouble for you, trouble for them. It makes absolutely no sense.”

Though earlier in the week Fidler noted that, given the city’s financial constraints, some cuts to the program were unacceptable, last night at the Madison-Marine-Homecrest Civic Association he noted that recent news revealed a new source of funds to protect the programs in their entirety: CityTime.

The firm responsible for developing an automated payroll project agreed Wednesday to pay the city approximately $500 million it made off the project, for which the budget ballooned from $68 million to nearly $700 million in what is being called one of the largest frauds ever perpetrated against the city.

The recovery of those funds provides a perfect opportunity to restore services like the afterschool program, which saw cuts year after year, Fidler said. He estimated that $50-60 million would restore the program to where it was two years ago.

“There’s no acceptable amount to be cut from the youth programs this time because we took a little piece last time and a little piece the time before,” Fidler said. “If we could use some of [the CityTime] money for the kids, it’s a good investment. Ten cents this year is a dollar next year, and that means money for the DA, the cops and the courts.”

We got an e-mail from reader Alex G. who wanted to tell readers all about his new business, a laundry and dry cleaning service called West 5th Cleaners.

Located at 2935 West 5th Street in Trump Village Section 3, Building 5B2, West 5th Cleaners is now open.