Car break-ins remain one of the biggest drivers of crime in the area. Thieves smashing car windows to steal sometimes as little as pennies from a cup holder are one of the reasons for the spike in crime recorded in the latest Compstat report from the 61st Precinct.
While motorists should feel comfortable parking their car wherever they like, the reality of the situation is that thugs take advantage of dark streets and look for indications that the car might have valuables inside. The local precinct’s Crime Prevention Unit recently sent out a batch of tips to help reduce your risk, and the area’s crime stats.
To make sure you’re possessions are as safe as possible, here is a list of safety tips:
- Do not leave satellite radios, portable GPS system, or suction cup on windshield whether temporarily parking or parking overnight.
- Do not leave wallets, purses, backpacks, jewelry, credit cards or any other valuable property in your vehicle while it is parked.
- Do not leave cell phones or other electronics in the glove compartment.
- Activate any theft deterrent devices you may have.
- Do not leave packages or valuables in the vehicle.
- Do not keep your license, registration or title in the vehicle.
- Make certain that your vehicle is locked.
- If possible, park in a bright, well lit area.
- If you have a garage, use it. Lock both the vehicle and the garage.
- Install video surveillance within the vicinity of the garage or driveway where your vehicle will be parked.
- If you have video surveillance conduct periodic maintenance to make sure they are in good working condition.
- Position the cameras so that it will be able to capture a good image of an individual’s face but secure enough to prevent any possible tampering.
- Install wheel locks on your vehicle to help deter theft of tire and rims.
- Contact the 61st Precinct Crime Prevention Officer to have your vehicle VIN etched.
You can learn more about the 61st Precinct’s VIN etching and other crime prevention programs by calling the Crime Prevention Unit at (718) 627-6832.