- Sheepshead Bites - http://www.sheepsheadbites.com -
Federal Disaster Unemployment Assistance Now Available to New Yorkers Affected by Hurricane Sandy
Posted By Willie Simpson On November 14, 2012 @ 4:00 pm In News & Features | No Comments
This is a heads up for people whose jobs and livelihoods were affected by Hurricane Sandy. If you lost your job due to the Hurricane Sandy disaster, the State of New York is offering emergency unemployment assistance to those who qualify.
According to the press release from Governor Cuomo,
This assistance will supplement New York’s existing unemployment insurance system and will expand eligibility to include individuals who might otherwise not be covered. The United States Department of Labor has committed to providing additional assistance if needed. “The physical destruction caused by Hurricane Sandy has been terrible, and the resulting job losses can be even more painful for New Yorkers,” Governor Cuomo said. “These federal funds will quickly provide financial assistance to those whose livelihoods have been upended. I urge impacted New Yorkers to apply as soon as possible.” Department of Labor staff will be deployed to hard-hit communities to help register impacted New Yorkers for Disaster Unemployment Assistance in person. Anyone unemployed due to Hurricane Sandy is immediately eligible and can submit a claim to the Department of Labor. The criterion for collecting disaster assistance is broader than for collecting regular unemployment benefits. Specifically, an individual can collect disaster assistance in any of the following cases:
- Injured in the disaster and unable to work, whether the person is an employee or self-employed.
- Workplace is damaged, or destroyed, or the person cannot work because of the disaster.
- Transportation to work is not available because of the disaster.
- Cannot get to work because must travel through the affected area, which is impossible due to disaster.
- Planned to begin working, but cannot because of the disaster.
- Derived most of income from areas affected by the disaster, and business is closed or inoperable because of the disaster.
For more information, you can check out Governor Cuomo’s full press release announcement, and the Department of Labor’s special page with information on how to apply and start collecting unemployment assistance for those who qualify.
Article printed from Sheepshead Bites: http://www.sheepsheadbites.com
URL to article: http://www.sheepsheadbites.com/2012/11/federal-disaster-unemployment-assistance-now-available-to-new-yorkers-affected-by-hurricane-sandy/
Copyright © 2008-2011 Sheepshead Bites. All rights reserved.