A fire broke out yesterday afternoon at 4740 Bedford Avenue, and a neighbor said FDNY told her it might have been from a loose wire in the powerless home.
Lindsay H. writes:
One of the homes on Bedford btwn Voorhies and Shore Pkwy went on fire earlier today. FDNY just left and the NYPD isn’t there because the family is still not home. This block (except for the white building) still does not have power (and many don’t have hot water), this home included, which is terrifying considering the FDNY is saying the fire started in the basement most likely from a loose wire. The doorman/security guard for the white building called in the fire after seeing flames coming out of the chimney of this 2-fl + basement home. I don’t even want to think about the damage done.
My parents live on this block, in addition to families, and many elderly couples with no children helping them; and there is now a huge fear of not knowing what will happen when the power does turn on.
Felt I needed to share. There’s a lot of frustration on this often neglected block because everything looks okay. No downed trees or wires. But destroyed basement apartments (many have occupants living there) and over a week of no power (they were one of the first to go – early afternoon on Monday).