As Hurricane Sandy looks to make landfall between Washington D.C. and Philadelphia, there remains no order yet telling residents of evacuations zones like Sheepshead Bay to head for the hills. But for those who want to play it safe, the city opened all evacuation centers at 9:00 a.m. today.
All evacuation centers have at least one entrance usable for wheelchairs. If you cannot reach a shelter by yourself, call 311 for help with transportation. Evacuation centers are pet friendly. If you require further information, you can call 311 or visit the MOPD website, which will also provide information about accessible transportation.
If the area is evacuated, either by order or recommendation, the nearest refuge centers to Sheepshead Bay’s residents are Roosevelt High School (5800 20th Avenue) and I.S. 187 (1171 65th Street).
Here are some useful links in case of an evacuation:
- Ready New York: Hurricane Guide
- Emergency Supply Kit and Go Bag checklist
- Need to know if where you live/work is in an evacuation zone? Here’s a tool to find out
- Evacuation zone map, with locations of evacuation centers
- Evacuation procedures and recommendations, from OEM
And remember to stay tuned to Sheepshead Bites during the storm. We’ll be reporting on it as it’s happening, and will deliver any breaking news and emergency messages relevant to the area.