A 36-year-old Madison High School teacher stands accused of having sex with a 16-year-old pupil on and off school grounds, as well as sharing marijuana with the youth.
The charges were revealed yesterday when a lawyer for the student’s family filed a $10 million notice of claim, charging that teacher Erin Sayar had sex with a 16-year-old she privately tutored between eight and 12 times last year, and also offered him pot from a stash kept on school grounds.
New York Post reports:
Sayar arranged to tutor the boy twice a week in her office, but one day last November the boy’s girlfriend spotted them flirting and got suspicious, the sources said.
The girl hacked the teen’s Facebook account and found messages to Sayar that said, “i love you so much” and “I always loved you, since last year.”
Sayar responded, “oh no – I’m not putting myself out there again. I made that mistake last night and you couldn’t handle it.”
But she gave the teen her cell number and ordered him to delete their exchanges, the report said.
The girl turned the messages over to school officials, and her boyfriend admitted to investigators he had sex with Sayar eight to 12 times.
In one midnight rendezvous, she came to his house and picked him up in her SUV.
“Eventually, they began kissing and then engaged in sexual intercourse and oral sex inside the SUV,” the report said, adding that the boy described tattoos on intimate parts of Sayar’s body.
Sayar has taught at James Madison High School (3787 Bedford Avenue) since 2000 and was reassigned in January. School investigators have recommended she be fired, and Brooklyn District Attorney Charles Hynes is now handling the case.
The charges are the latest in a series of sex scandals at the school that have emerged since 2009, and for which the city’s tabloids have dubbed the school “Horndog High.”
Here’s a round up some of the sex-related cases to have emerged since 2009:
- Two female teachers – Cindy Mauro and Alini Brito – were allegedly caught naked in a lesbian romp on school grounds in November 2009. It was after hours, but students were in the school’s auditorium for a talent show. The teachers claimed one was giving the other an insulin shot, not in the midst of a tryst. Both teachers were investigated and at least one was fired.
- Social studies teacher Allison Musacchio, 31, was caught in December 2009 with more than 200 calls and texts to a male student on her cell phone record. Musacchio denied the allegations.
- Assistant Principal Michael Edelman was accused of sexual harassment in December 2009. The case was investigated by Education Department’s Office of Equal Opportunity.
- A female gym teacher at Madison was accused of “feeling up” a 14-year-old girl in February 2010. The student was not enrolled at Madison High School, but attended private Poly Prep Country Day School, where Guttilla was a part-time volleyball coach.
- Finally, the NY Post notes another case, in which English teacher Craig Roffman was fired and arrested after thousands of kiddie-porn images were found on his home computer.