Sheepshead Bay’s warm weather events are kicking off this weekend with the Grillin’ On The Bay and Brooklyn Chili Smackdown at St. Mark’s! This means, not long after, the Cyclone will be open, Bayfest will be roaring, fishing boats will be departing (well, they never stopped — but now you’ll actually want to go on them!), and the block parties will be kicking. And we sure are ready for that warm weather, aren’t we?
Grillin’ On The Bay organizer Robert Fernandez sent this year’s lineup and some additional information. Don’t forget – this is an event that helps support St. Mark’s AND good meats in southern Brooklyn.
Grillin’ On The Bay and The Brooklyn Chili Smack Down takes place on April 4, 2009 in St. Mark’s Schoolyard on the corner of East 18th Street and Avenue Z. Gates open at 6:00 am, but the real fun starts around noon when the cooks begin turning in their food for judging.
Atom’s Ribs featuring the award winning barbecue of Matt Fisher will be selling food all day.
We also have a people’s choice chili contest where the public can sample all the chilies for only $10. That runs from 1:00 until 4:00.
This year’s Grillin On The Bay includes some very heavy hitters in the world of competitive barbecue and we have a fair amount of virgins; just look at this line up… [Ed.-after the jump.]
* Smoke In Da Eye – Defending Champion!
* Purple Turtle Caterers – Returning Champions from the first Grillin’ On The Bay.
* Beer Belly Porkers featuring Sheepshead Bay own Jim Ryan
* iQue featuring Andy O. C. Husbands of the award winning Tremont647
* Ribs Within featuring Doug Kieles of New Jersey’s Grub Hut
* King’s County BBQ Truck Brooklyn’s newest BBQ restaurant
* Josh Ozersky of the Feedbag formerly of Grub Street with a special guest
* Wildwood BBQ featuring Big Lou Elrose with Robbie Richter, former Pitmaster of Hill Country and winner of the American Royal in the chicken category
* Moose’s Mayhem
* Atom’s Ribs featuring Matt Fisher, former Pitmaster of Wildwood BBQ NYC
* Team Agave featuring Steve Farrrin of the American Royal team – I Smell Smoke
* Ma’s Cue Crew
* Transformer BBQ
* Smoke On The Water
* Rb’s BBQ
* Pearl Lee Q’s
* Eat A Donut
I tell you it’s gonna be a great day.